Torts Committed by Federal Employees:

What happens if you are involved in a collision on a military base with a military vehicle? What if you are permanently injured due to negligence of doctors or staff at a military hospital? What if you are hit by another driver in uniform? Most injuries resulting from the negligence of federal employees must be brought against the United States under the Federal Torts Claims Act (FTCA). The FTCA is a specific federal law that covers most tort claims against federal employees. The provisions of the Federal Torts Claim Act are strict and have certain requirements and deadlines. Also, there are sometimes sovereign immunity considerations. There are a lot of hurdles with bringing a claim, including defenses like immunity. Also, injuries caused by some non-federal employees may be covered under the Act. Even if you are injured by a federal contractor or a Navy, Army, Air Force, or Marine reservist traveling to their duty station, you may have to bring your injury claim against the United States rather than the individual or the individual’s insurance company. When bringing a claim against the federal government, a claimant files a SF-95 form, but needs to include all claims and supporting documentation for those claims. For example: what if you are injured, but also have a damaged vehicle? The SF-95 form should include both the personal injury claim and property damage claim. Also, the claim must be filed with the appropriate federal agency that handles the tort claim. Filing a claim wrongly may result in rejection of the claim. Filing a claim too late will result in rejection of the federal tort claim.


Don’t lose your claim! Don’t wait too long to contact a lawyer! Trust a personal injury firm with significant experience handling federal injury claims. Contact the attorneys at Slaughter & Lupton Law for a free initial consultation today.

Nothing contained in this website should be considered (a) legal advice to any person viewing the website, (b) a guarantee of any particular result, or (c) a representation of the monetary value of any particular claim.